Custody Order Modification
  1. Home
  2.  → 
  3. Family Law
  4.  → 
  5. Child Custody Issues
  6.  → Custody Order Modification

Modifying Child Custody Orders

Child custody determinations are not set in stone. Sometimes, it may be necessary to seek a modification to a child custody order. It is important to always do so with the help of a skilled lawyer. Deciding to change the terms of your agreement on your own can have disastrous consequences. At Thorsen Law Offices, our attorneys can help guide you through the modification process or advocate for you if you believe your ex is seeking an unfair modification to your agreement.

When Is It Possible To Modify A Custody Order?

A parent may seek a change to a custody order if they have experienced a substantial change in circumstances. There is no hard and fast rule for what constitutes a substantial change. However, one of the most common situations where a parent may wish to change a custody agreement is when there is a desire to relocate in order to start a new job, because of a new relationship, or for any reason whatsoever.

If a custody order is modified, it may also be necessary to modify an order for child support. For example, if the parent with physical custody moves out of state, the increased travel expenses for the other parent to visit may result in a decrease in support payments.

Contact Us To Find Out More

If you need help resolving a modification issue, speak with us. Call our law offices in New City, New York, at 845-638-2726. You may also contact us online and we will respond to your inquiry promptly.